Residence Hall Wired & Wireless Network Connections

For gamers and esports fans, please scroll down to the Connection section. Depending which ResHall you are in, you might need to request ethernet activation - which you can do BEFORE you come to campus!

Residence Hall Wired Connections

All ResHalls have wired ports. All ResHalls have ethernet (RJ45) ports for network access. Ethernet cables can be purchased from the Bookstore. 

RJ45 - RJ45 Cable

Uploaded Image (Thumbnail)


All residence halls require RJ45 - RJ45 to connect to the St. Olaf network. Here is a list of cable types for each residence hall:

Residence Hall

Ethernet Cable





















*If you have a switch to connect several computers, you need one cable to connect the switch to the wall data jack. Each computer will need one RJ45-RJ45 cable to connect the computer to the switch.  The IT Helpdesk also has some small switches that can be checked out; you can request one by filling out this form

Connecting your computer or game console (e-sports)


Wired Connections in Rand, Hilleboe, Kittelsby, Ytterboe, Mohn, Thorson, New Hall, and Townhomes have access points (AP) in most rooms. Both eduroam and St. Olaf Guest WiFi work as normal, but the only difference is that on the bottom of the AP, there are four ports for wired connections (of any kind - console, TV, computer, etc): 

  • E0/PT is not active (and not available for activation)

  • E1, E2, E3, and E4 are always active and do not require activation

       Uploaded Image (Thumbnail)

Plugging into the AP is preferred in these locations. It is also faster too!!! The port going to the AP is at a gig and the others next to it are capped at 100 meg since they only use two pair. Also, there’s a much lower chance of errors / headache both from poor wire quality. Plus it prevents/avoids the desk smashing up to the actual data outlets, etc.

Wired Connections in all other dorms: If your room has an access point in it, you can connect your computer to it using a cable. Otherwise you will need to request your data (wall) jack to be activated by contacting the IT Helpdesk. To request ethernet activation, please fill out this form or call 507-786-3830. You’ll be notified once the connection is activated, and then can connect your cable to the data jack; please make sure you have the correct cable (as noted above).

For gamers and esports, please request ethernet activation by filling out this form



Connect to the eduroam wireless network. Game consoles and older mobile devices that do not support eduroam should connect to the St. Olaf Guest wireless network.


 Frequently Asked Questions

Is wireless access available in the residence halls or honor houses?
Wireless access is available in all of the residence halls and honor houses. Please keep in mind that a wired connection will almost always provide superior service and that wireless signal strength can vary greatly depending on location and interference (microwaves, cordless phones, etc.)

What if I have more computers in my room than network jacks?
In some cases, you may wish to connect more computers than there are network jacks (such as two computers in a Thorson double, or three in a Kittelsby or Larson room, etc.). If this is the case, you can check out a switch from the IT Helpdesk. You can request one by filling out this form.

How much does it cost me?
The connection to our system is free. The only cost will be the hardware that your computer needs to connect to our network. Many computers purchased recently already have the necessary hardware and need only a cable to connect.

Do I have to apply for a connection?
Yes. Contact the IT Helpdesk and let them know you need a physical network connection (ethernet activation). You can call 507-786-3830 or fill out this form. You’ll be notified once the connection is activated.

Print Article


Article ID: 109843
Fri 6/12/20 7:50 AM
Tue 8/15/23 4:07 PM

Related Articles (1)

How to connect to eduroam and St. Olaf guest networks with Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android, Linux or Chromebook.