My Recently Visited Services

For any questions or concerns about acquiring materials from other libraries.

Report a problem accessing online books, journals, and databases.

For faculty and staff to request that the library purchase a title for its collection. Students should submit an Interlibrary Loan request instead.

To reserve a DVD for in-class screening on a specified date.

Request to sponsor and curate a physical book display on behalf of a student club or organization.

To request another individual be granted proxy borrowing rights to your library account.

Request a new Elevator digital collections site, get help creating, organizing, or sharing items in Elevator, or discuss ways to use Elevator in your teaching or research.

Submit questions about your library research or for help finding and using library resources.

Request to have an item placed on Course Reserves.

Report an issue with the Elevator digital collections platform or your Elevator access.

Faculty can request instruction sessions or instructional content tailored to their students’ needs.

For any questions or concerns relating to overdue fees and replacement charges.

For help renewing materials borrowed from the libraries.

I cannot find what I'm looking for and I need Library help.

Schedule a research consultation with a librarian or peer research tutor.

For help with access to the Catalyst catalog, library databases, or your library account.

To request a borrower’s card or “Bridge Community Card.” These cards provide borrowing privileges to the libraries of the Bridge Consortium: St Olaf Libraries and Carleton’s College’s Gould Library.

Request help finding an item that appears to be missing from its location in the library.

Report a concern or question regarding the physical space in Rolvaag Library or Halvorson Music Library.

Report an issue accessing an area of our buildings or collections.

To report loss or damage of library material checked out on your account.